- 1 head of Smith’s Farm cauliflower cut in ½ inch steaks
- 1 cup buffalo sauce separated
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic powder separated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup sparkling water
- oil for frying
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- Optional Toppings lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, vegan ranch
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cauliflower by destemming and cutting it into ½ inch steaks (from top to bottom).
- Combine ½ cup buffalo sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, chili powder, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Dip each steak in the sauce and allow excess to drip off. Place on the baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the steaks. Baste with leftover sauce and cook in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you prepare the batter.
- Combine flax meal and 3 tablespoons (flat) water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup buffalo sauce, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, flour, sparkling water and flax “egg” to a bowl.
- IF FRYING: Heat oil in a shallow pan until it reaches 360 degrees. Dip each steak in the batter and allow excess to drip off. Working in batches, carefully add battered steaks to the oil and fry until golden on both sides (approx. 4-7 minutes). Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate until ready to serve.
- IF BAKING: Place a new sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet. Dip each steak in the batter and allow excess to drip off. Place steaks on the baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the steaks. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- For serving, toast the buns and layer with cauliflower steaks, lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado and vegan ranch.
Shout out to The Savory Vegan for this delicious recipe!