garlic bean sauce
- 1 15-ounce can cannelleni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 large or 2 small clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 12-ounce package brown rice pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
- fine sea salt & fresh pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts, plus more for serving
- 6 ripe figs, thinly sliced
1. make the sauce. combine all the ingredients in an upright blender (preferably a high-speed blender such as a vitamix), until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. taste and adjust the salt, lemon juice, and/or the vinegar if need be, then transfer to a small saucepan and set aside.
2. make the pasta. cook the pasta according the directions on the package until al dente. drain the pasta and set aside.
3. while the pasta is cooking, steam and char the broccoli. place broccoli florets in a steamer over 1-inch over water and bring to a boil. steam for 2 minutes until tender but crisp. heat a heavy bottomed saute pan (preferably cast iron) over medium, once the pan is hot add the oil and broccoli. cook the broccoli on each side until charred in spots and tender, about 5-6 minutes per side. remove from heat.
4. heat the sauce over medium heat until steaming, add more filtered water by the tablespoon until it is fluid but coats the back of a spoon. add the sauce, pasta, and walnuts to broccoli and give it all a good toss. gently fold in the figs, taste and adjust the seasoning adding more salt if needed.
5. divide the pasta into portions and serve immediately with extra toasted walnuts.
Thank you to http://www.dollyandoatmeal.com/blog/2016/9/28/creamy-garlicky-pasta-w-charred-broccoli-figs for this awesome recipe!