(Makes 2 hamburger)
cauliflower crust “bread” buns:
- 1 small head of Smith’s Farm cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
- 1 free-range organic egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 hamburger patties
- Your favorite burger toppings
Cauliflower crust “bread” buns:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (220°C) and place a rack in the middle.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with oil. Set aside.
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized).
- Transfer cauliflower rice (about 3 cups) to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a kitchen towel (or cheesecloth or tea towel) and twist it to squeeze as much moisture as you can. This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise, you’ll end up with mushy dough, impossible to use as hamburger buns.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, mozzarella, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Spread cauliflower mixture onto the lined baking sheet and shape into 4 rounds.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 16 minutes until golden.
- Remove and let cool 10 minutes before peeling them off the parchment paper (be careful not to break them!)
Assemble cauliflower crust hamburger:
- Grill the burgers until cooked to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Assemble burgers with your choice of toppings (tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cheese, ketchup, mayonnaise, etc.)
Thank you to The Iron You for this delicious recipe!