Maine: September - May
Florida: May - July
All Consumer Packaging:
- Round Whites
- Yukon Golds
Did You Know?
- Potatoes are traditionally picked by hand
- They're the world's fourth largest crop (behind rice, wheat and maize)
- The first permanent potato patches in the US were in NH
- Potatoes were the first vegetable grown in space (1995)
Potatoes are a good natural source of both soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Calories: 163
- Total Fat: .2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 13mg
- Potassium: 897mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 37g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.7g
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Excellent source of Vitamin C (70% DV)
Buying & Storing Tips
Look for firm potatoes with no discoloration are the best. Discoloration (like small green patches) are a sign of toxic alkaloid, solanine.
Store in a cool, dry and dark place. They'll sprout under too much sunglight (not good).
Wash thoroughly before cooking.