- 1 lb orzo pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 2-inch segments
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- lemon wedges
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, according to package instructions, about 8 to 9 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Heat the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Then add the broccoli spears and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, or until fork tender. In the last minute or minute and a half, add the trimmed asparagus and peas. Cook until the asparagus is bright green and remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the orzo with the cooked vegetables. Add the cherry tomatoes and enough of the reserved cooking liquid, to moisten. About 1/4 cup at a time. Season the pasta with salt and pepper to taste. Add the Parmesan cheese and parsley; toss. Then add the lemon juice to taste and serve immediately.
Thank you to 31 Daily for this awesome recipe!