Did You Know?
- Iceberg lettuce is the most popular lettuce in the United States
- Romaine has one of the highest nutritional values in the lettuce category
- Lettuce tastes sweetest in cool weather
- The darker the lettuce, the more nutritious it is
- Lettuce is harvested just before it reaches maturity for maximum freshness
The nutritional value of lettuce varies with the variety.
Raw lettuce (1 Cup Chopped)
- Calories 9
- Dietary Fiber 1.3
- Protein 1g
- Carbohydrates 1.34g
- Vitamin A 1456 IU
- Vitamin C 13.44
- Calcium 20.16
- Iron 0.62
- Potassium 162.4mg
For optimal nutritional value, lettuce should be eaten while its fresh and crisp.
Buying & Storing Tips
Whether you're buying full heads or a bagged mix, look for crisp, green leaves. Avoid if the leaves show any browning.
Iceberg and Romaine lettuce will store for a week or so in your crisper, but other more gentle leaves should be used as soon as possible.