- 8 cups of Smith's Farm's broccoli florets
- 2 cups raw cashews or pepitas (soaked for 2-8 hours if possible (*see note for quick-soak method))
- 3 cups water or plain unsweetened plant milk
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (lemon juice, or unsweetened rice vinegar)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 8 ounces crimini or button mushrooms (diced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 sleeves Ritz crackers (crushed into crumbs, or substitute 2 GF plain bread crumbs for gluten-free option)
MAKE THE SAVORY CASHEW CREAM
- After soaking the cashews or pepitas*, drain, rinse, and add to a blender or food processor.
- Add water/milk, miso, salt, nutritional yeast, and vinegar, and blend until smooth and creamy. If using a high-speed blender, no soaking is necessary.
MAKE THE CASSEROLE
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the frozen broccoli to a 13×9 casserole dish and place it in the oven while it is preheating. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the broccoli is heated through and tender, stirring occasionally to ensure even heating.
- After the broccoli is cooked, set aside and reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Preheat a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes, until mushrooms have released their liquid and onions are browned and soft.
- Add cashew cream to the onion/mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 4-5 minutes until mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli in the casserole dish and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread cracker crumbs over the top of the broccoli mixture in an even layer.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, for 30 minutes on the middle rack.
Thank you to https://passtheplants.com/vegan-broccoli-casserole/ for this recipe!