- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme plus 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 large Smith's Farm broccoli crown (about 12 ounces), cut into large florets
- Place the broth, rice, water, onion, garlic, herbs, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper flakes if using in a 5-quart or larger slow cooker and stir to combine. Spread out the the rice mixture so that it is in an even layer and submerged in liquid. Season the chicken with salt and place in an even layer over the rice. Cover and cook 3 hours on the LOW setting.
- Add the beans and cheese, stir to combine, and spread back into an even layer. Place the broccoli over the rice in an even layer. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more on the LOW setting. Serve topped with more Parmesan.
Thank you to The Kitchn for this delicious recipe!