- 1 lb beef sirloin (sliced thin, 1/4 to 1/3 in thick or buy already cut into strips)
- 1 tsp oil (avocado or sesame oil)
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch or potato starch (you can use corn starch if you are not paleo)
- 1/4 c more starch for coating before frying meat
For the Mongolian Sauce:
- 1 tbsp avocado or sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1/3 or 1/4 c gluten free tamari soy sauce
- 1/3 c extra oil for frying
- 1/3 c broth or water
Remaining Ingredients to go in the bowls:
- 1 head Smith's Farm's broccoli. equals 3-4 c riced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions
- Sesame seeds (you can also add Optional chopped cashews for the broccoli rice)
- Fresh Coriander/Cilantro to garnish
- Spicy version in notes. You will need thai red pepper
- First prepare all your veggies. Slice your scallions and thai peppers (if you are following spicy version). Mince garlic/ginger. Keep them close by. Slice meat into thin strips.
- Toss your meat in 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp starch. place in bowl or ziplock bag and marinade in fridge for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
To Make Sauce:
- In a small sauce pan, add your 1 tbsp oil, garlic, and grated ginger. Stir fry until fragrant. If you are following spicy version, add 1 sliced thai red pepper while frying.
- Whisk together your 1/3 to 1/3 cup gluten free tamari soy sauce (I use san-j brand), broth, and sugar. Add to sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer on low until thickened. Around 10 minutes or so.
- Heat a large skillet pan with 1/3 c oil. Lightly coat beef strips in extra 1/4 c starch, then place in pan to fry/sear. Fry in oil for about 1 minute each side. Browning the steak strips.
- Reduce heat then drain oil from pan or use slotted spoon to drain.
- Add your Mongolian beef sauce and cook with meat 1 min. Coating the beef evenly. Then set aside while you make the broccoli rice.
For Broccoli Rice:
- Cut your broccoli head into 3 to 4 parts. Place each into blender or food processor until all is “riced” texture.
- Place in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1 tbsp broth or water. Salt/pepper to taste.
- Lightly steam in microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute. (feel free to do this on stove if you don’t have microwave)
- Add garlic powder and chopped cashew to broccoli rice if desired.
To Assemble Bowls:
- Add 1/2 cup or more broccoli rice to bowls. Then place beef and sauce on top.
- Sliced scallion and red pepper flakes to top!
- Sesame seeds and optional coriander to garnish each bowl.
Thank you to https://www.cottercrunch.com/paleo-mongolian-beef-broccoli-rice-bowls/ for this healthy recipe!