- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 head of Smith's Farm's cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg, fresh ground if possible
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbles
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower, rinse it well and then cut out the core. Cut the remainder into four equal pieces
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and then add the cauliflower. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until tender. Drain and put it into an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to make a smooth paste.
- Cook the mixture gently for a minute, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the milk slowly
- Return the pan to the heat and cook on low for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently
- Stir 3/4 of the cheese into the saucepan to melt
- Season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg
- When the sauce is melted, pour it over the cauliflower and sprinkle the reserved cheese and the bacon crumbles on top
- Place under the broiler for a few minutes and until the top starts to bubble and brown
Thank you to https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cauliflower-in-cheese-sauce-423338 for this recipe!