- 4 cups of Smith's Farm's broccoli florets
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 2 cups raw spinach , chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 slices low-sodium sprouted whole grain bread , cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (about 1½ oz.)
- Boil water in steamer or large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place broccoli in steamer basket; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender-crisp and bright green. Place in ice water bath to stop cooking process. Drain and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, spinach, salt, pepper, broccoli, and onion mixture in a large bowl; mix well.
- Place bread and cheese in 3-quart baking dish that has been lightly coated with spray.
- Top with egg mixture. Press down gently so that bread absorbs egg mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for20 minutes. Remove foil; bake for an additional 15 to 25 minutes, or until strata has puffed up, is cooked through, and is lightly browned on top.
Tip: Strata can be covered and refrigerated overnight before baking. (This may increase baking time.) This works well if you are serving it for brunch.
Thank you to https://www.openfit.com/spinach-and-broccoli-strata-recipe for this awesome recipe!