- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1.5 cups of Smith's Farm's broccoli
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- some mint leaves (5-10)
- some cilantro (optional)
- 1 red chili pepper (optional!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Soak lentils for 30min-1h. Prepare the rest - peel garlic and onion, wash herbs and vegetables and chop broccoli, onion, chili (optional), cilantro (optional), mint leaves.
- In a small cooking pot add 1tbsp olive oil and sautee the garlic and onions at medium-high for about 1 min. Add the spices (turmeric, ginger, cumin and opt. cardamom). Stir and add "a sip" of water, so that the spices don't burn.
- Stir again and add chopped broccoli, lentils, 1/2 tsp salt (approx. I'm still struggling with measuring salt, I usually pinch) and 2-3 cups of water (so that everything is covered).
- Cover everything with the lid and cook for 8-10 min until lentils are tender and everything else is cooked.
- Add the herbs (mint and optionally cilantro). Take off heat.
- With your hand blender blend the soup. I didn't blend all the way through as I like soups chunky. If you'd like - blend all the way through until smooth (won't affect taste, just texture). Add 1 more tbsp olive oil and stir in. Salt to taste, add water if too thick (shouldn't be).
- Optionally: Slice red chilli pepper and add at the end.
- Serve hot and if you'd like top with some hot paprika flakes and cumin.
Thank you to https://www.beautybites.org/broccoli-red-lentil-detox-soup/ for this awesome recipe!