- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head of Smith's Farm broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 head of Smith's Farm cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- In a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter to the pot and melt completely. Stir in the flour to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture is lightly golden in color, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the milk gradually to the pot, using a whisk to combine. Do the same with the cream and then bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season the sauce with the nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the pot and toss well to fully coat.
- Pour the vegetables-and-sauce mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle both grated cheeses evenly over the surface.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving warm.
Thank you to Pure Wow for this great recipe!